EDIT: This may indeed be illegal in a number of places (depends on where you live). However, there are a few pirate radio stations that were legalized, and so that process requires more investigation. This post is a highlight of a little known phenomenon that has potential to benefit society–NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF A CRIME!! 🙂
Often times you hear people complaining about the problems of the Ummah–lack of unity, organization, etc etc. And then you never hear any suggestions.
I came across an idea that I posed to a number of people, most of which didn’t really like it. And this may just be a test from Allah because I see a LOT of potential in this.
The concept is called Pirate Radio. It’s no different than a radio station, but the difference is you start your own radio station and it is not difficult to do either! The airways are free so you would simply grab an unused frequency and use that.
1) Bring local Muslim communities closer to together through Muslim programs and nurturing grass-roots activism.
2) Broadcast the Adhaan over the radio and this way you do not have to worry about angering non-Muslim residents or time area differences between adhaans.
3) In case of an emergency, when (Allah forbid) Muslims find themselves in a massacre type of scenario than this could be used to quickly mobilize the community and plan things out.
4) It’s cheap and easy! Getting a TV channel isn’t easy and producing programs isn’t easy either.
5) Easy for parents and grandparents to use.
6) Spread the word quick and fast about community events, rallies, festivals etc.
7) Easy to reach, and no competition like you find on Internet audio.
Sounds great doesn’t it?
Subhana kallhumma wa bihamdika ash-haduana la illaha illa ant astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk. Ameen.