EDIT: This is intended for Muslim charities and groups that look for donations. It is not meant for wannabe beggars (who are well-off) or for criminal organizations be they Muslim or otherwise.
We’ve all been in the situation of people constantly asking for money for their charity, masjid development etc. Sometimes it seems as if there is no end to the amount of money they ask for and there will never be enough. But slowly somehow against the odds the Muslim community grows.
So here are a few tips to persuade the Muslim to give. A lot of this will seem like common sense but very few implement this. Insha Allah, this will make things easier and more successful for the Muslim community.
1) NEVER simply ask for money and donations. I remember hearing about an uncle who repeated the same line for an hour (“Donation for mosque brother donation for mosque”) to the point it just got annoying and people would give money with the intention of making him silent. This is so common and very annoying where you see an uncle repeating this same line over and over again.
2) Although it is charity–never view it as a donation. Don’t assume people already know why they would donate. You must remind them! People always view things in terms of mutual exchange–“you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours”. Yes, they know they may get rewarded but it is so distant they aren’t going to be very willing to do it. Keeping this in mind you must remind them they are purchasing the Afterlife. This is a business transaction–not a simple gimme gimme.
3) Thank them profusely and give a quick one short duaa. People don’t always know that saying, “Jazaka Allahu khayran” mean “May Allah reward you with good” so use an English translation of it or one that is in their language. And then say Ameen after so that they realize what you are saying is indeed for them.
4) Muslims being stingy need to be coaxed into making an investment. When doing street dawah I would always remind the Muslims that a donation will be a Sadaqa Jariya (“continuous ever-lasting charity”) so that they realize that one donation will grow exponentially and amass them more good deeds. Be sure to encourage them to donate more otherwise, they will think no matter how little they donate it will amount to something huge. So tell them the difference between 2 to the power 100 and 10 to the power of 100 is extremely huge.
5) Use the story that is told of Uthman (ra) (I think it was him, I couldn’t find the hadith but heard this in a lecture) who gave so much charity that the Prophet SAAWS exclaimed, “No amount of sin can ever outweigh this!”
So you want to purchase Jannah? There is your chance. 😉
Subhana kallahumma wa bihamdik ash-haduana la illaha illa ant astaghfiruka wa atubu ilayk, Ameen.